Saturday, March 31, 2012

Blog #11


 
I decided to analyse the movie, “The Room” for my paper. The film was released in 2003 and many critics claim it to be one of the worst movies to ever appear on the big screen. Tommy Wiseau is the man responsible for directing, producing, and starring as the main character in the movie. To put it simply, he is strange beyond belief and you could easily figure this out by watching the movie. In a few interviews with the media he has repeatedly said that the intended audience was everybody because the movie was about life and that everyone could learn something new each and every time they watch the film. Unfortunately for Tommy, his original intention was shot down when the film received countless awful reviews for being so poorly produced. So bad in fact that it is actually superb in a select few people's eyes. Pathos, in my opinion is the most important rhetorical technique in play in the movie. Extremely bad character and plot development in my opinion creates a strong emotional sensation to a viewer of the movie. Humour, derived from the atrociousness that is the movie is the main reason why this movie appeals to so many people to this day. Therefore, this movie can only appeal to people who have a unique sense of humour to say the least. For example, one scene has the main character attempting to comfort his friend when he is embarrassed that he left his underwear in his apartment only to be discovered by an elder women. Scenes like this really are only funny because they are absurd and random, but they somehow are successful in garnering the attention of people who appreciate this type of comedy.

I commented on both Victor's and Donovan's blogs.

1 comment:

  1. I have never seen this movie, so I can neither completely agree nor disagree with what you have written. From my understanding though, pathos does seem to be the main appeal. I believe I agree one needs a unique sense of humor to enjoy a film such as this, but I think that is the only appealing thing. Bad character and plot developement may create strong emotions, but for all the wrong reasons. From what you wrote, I believe people will react with emotions of dislike rather than appreciation.

    ReplyDelete