Saturday, March 24, 2012

Blog #10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKYKyIObXyMInfomercials, in my opinion are absolutely hilarious. Especially ones that are so ridiculously stupid that they don't end up doing anything at all. This is the case for the HD sunglasses. The company tries its hardest to try to make something as illegitimate as this, a serious product. The target audience seems to be everyone, but more specifically middle aged men and women because those are the only types of people being “interviewed” during the commercial. Because of this, I think that the commercial appeals somewhat to “ethos” for the main reason of them being mature looking people.
Although the company surely did not intend on having humour as being a component of their advertisement, I feel something as goofy as this might make people like me go out and buy these things (like I did recently) for the sole fact of it making a funny story. This commercial definitely appeals to “logos” because the glasses are used during an experiment on a sunny day while driving to reduce glare. The results are miraculous, with the glasses magically appearing to cut dangerous glare from the sun.
I don't know how they did it, but it seems that the people who came up with the idea with this did an excellent job with their commercial. It is extremely persuasive. They advertise the product as being very inexpensive as compared to some renowned brand of HD glasses. Also they throw in a free pair which makes this all the more enticing.

I commented on Bryan's and Linden's blog.

4 comments:

  1. wow that was funny, didn't know there was such a thing, or need for such a thing for that matter! I like how your analysis is almost sarcastic sounding which fits with such a crazy product! I think you've done a good job at assessing who such a crazy product would be targeted at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a good job of identifying the audience. The intended audience would have been unclear if there were no examples of who was using the HD glasses. I agree that using the example of eliminating windshield glare appeals to logos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commend you for analyzing something like that because I wouldn't have known where to start. The windshield and logos connection was clever. You definitely went below the surface to make connections. I think I agree that they worked with their product to create an informative and somewhat persuasive commercial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree that infomercials are absolutely hilarious even though I'm sure that's not their intent. I think you did a really good job at identifying the audience because, i feel like most people are going to be inclined to believe something more if someone their age is representing it.

    ReplyDelete